Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Family-Friendly Sloppy Joes - 5 Points



The entire Family likes this one.  My daughter doesn't like the green peppers that go in it, so I'll take a smidge out for her before I add them in.

After the entire sloppy joe Filling is Finished, I divide it up into 8 separate plastic storage containers.  I can't remember how much each serving size is, but I'll note it next time I make it.

I don't know about you, but I don't actually like my sloppy joe to be sloppy, so I don't put the entire serving size onto one bun.  Since the buns are only 1 point for me, I'll divide the entire serving into two and have two sloppy joe sandwiches and add 1 point for the extra bun for 6 points total. Even more filling that way.

Ingredients:

1.5 lb. ground round
1 cup fresh onion
1/2 cup fresh green bell pepper
1 (8-oz) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon dark-brown sugar
1-1/2 tablespoon low-salt Worcestershire sauce
1-1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1-1/2 tablespoon yellow mustard
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
8 (1.5-oz) reduced-calorie whole-wheat hamburger buns.


I have no idea why that last line item shows up as "whole-what" but it says "whole-wheat" in my editor feature of the blog. Weird.

Directions:

Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot.  Add beef, onion, and bell pepper until beef is browned and crumbled.  Drain meat in a colander and wipe grease out of pan with paper towel.  Return beef mixture to skillet and add remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat until slightly thick, about 10 minutes.  Spoon mixture evenly over bottom halves of 8 reduced-calorie whole-wheat hamburger buns.

Yields 8 servings.
Points: 5 Winning Points

Calories 272; Protein 22.1 g; Fat 6.7 g; Carb 30 g; Fiber 2.9 g, Cholesterol 54 mg, Iron 3.2 mg, Sodium 673 mg; Calcium 43 mg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chicken and Lentils in Apple-Curry Sauce

  Make sure you get some good size chicken thighs for this dish because those suckers can shrink up big time, which is why my photo shows...