Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Family-Friendly Garlic-Broiled Chicken - Leg AND Thigh for 7 Weight Watcher Points WITH Skin



Yet another Favorite chicken recipe of mine.  I don't know about you, but plain chicken just doesn't do it for me.  The only hard part of this dish is cutting the whole chicken down the middle, but sometimes you can Find chickens already cut in half.

I was shocked at the price of this chicken....I have NEVER paid $10 for a whole chicken before in my life, but that's what this one cost me.  Food prices are so ridiculous right now.

Here is the recipe for the delish mixture to baste the chicken with:

1/4 cup melted butter
3 Tablespoons fresh, minced garlic
2 Tablespoons lite soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2-1/2 to 3-1/2-lb whole frying chicken

You just need a 2-1/2- to 3-1/2-pound whole frying chicken cut in half to baste it upon during the last 10 minutes of broiling 6" to 8" away from the heat, turning every 10 minutes until done. Approximately 35-45 minutes.

Note:  I like to put mine all the way down onto the bottom rack and broil each side for 20 minutes on a bigger chicken and then switch to each side broiled at 10 minutes WITH the butter-garlic mixture basted upon it for those last 20 minutes. I insert a meat thermometer to ensure it's done. Before serving, baste one more time with buter-garlic mixture.  You can add chopped parsley sprinkled on top too.   (For whole chickens, a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, but not near bone or fat, should register 180 to 185 degrees Fahrenheit before removing from the oven.)


Voila! And Four out of the Five of us eat this one.  For the one who doesn't, his chicken taken off this very chicken is removed from the bone and goes into making him a quick chicken quesadilla.

The Weight Watcher points vary depending upon which part of the chicken you choose to eat and whether or not you eat the skin.  I add a point for the butter mixture on top of the points listed for the pieces WITH skin.  I take the meat off the bone and weigh it, then look in my handy-dandy points book to Figure it out.

When I was on the NutriSystem plan, I used leftovers of this dish as a PowerFuel serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chicken and Lentils in Apple-Curry Sauce

  Make sure you get some good size chicken thighs for this dish because those suckers can shrink up big time, which is why my photo shows...