Saturday, September 7, 2013

Nutty Balsamic Tuna Sandwich with Avocado

This is one of my favorite sandwiches.  Unfortunately, it is high in points, but that's a good thing when you have a ton of points minus the appetite.  I know, I know....there are people wondering why I'm fat if I have no appetite.  I drank too much pop.  That's where all of my calories came from most days.



With a 3-point breakfast, that leaves me 26 points for the day.  Since I usually aim to leave myself around 15 points for dinner (so I can eat what my family is eating if needed or to go out at the last minute), eating an 8-point sandwich is no big deal.  That leaves me with 18 points left for the remainder of the day.

Here's the recipe:

4 slices of pumpernickel or whole wheat bread
5-oz. can of tuna fish, drained
4 Tbsp. balsamic dressing (I use Marzetti's Simply Dressed Balsamic)
4 Tbsp. shredded carrot
1 green onion finely chopped
2 Tbsp. toasted sliced almonds (you can use walnuts too)
Avocado, cubed to mix in, or sliced to top mixture.

Mix the drained tuna, dressing, shredded carrots, green onion, and nuts in a mixing bowl. (you can chop up the avocado to mix in, but I like to slice for weighing out 1 ounce to top the mixture.)  Lightly toast your bread, use one-half of the mixture in each of 2 sandwiches, and top with sliced avocado if you didn't mix it right in. Voila. Sandwich is done. Delish.

I don't have the nutritional information on this one, so you will need to figure that out for yourself.  For me, the 4 slices of pumpernickel is 8 points, the whole can of tuna fish is 2 points, the 4 tablespoons of dressing is 2 points, the shredded carrot is 0 to 0.5, green onion is zero, and 2 tablespoons of almonds is 0.5 to 1 point.  I rounded up for the almonds, so the grand total for two sandwiches is  14 points minus the avocado.  That makes each sandwich 7 points, and since I weigh out 1 ounce of sliced avocado to top the sandwich, my sandwich is 8 points.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Chicken and Lentils in Apple-Curry Sauce

  Make sure you get some good size chicken thighs for this dish because those suckers can shrink up big time, which is why my photo shows...