Sunday, September 8, 2013

Blueberry Mango Sundae Recipe



I made this Fruit topping mixture over the summer, and I had a lot left over, so I decided to portion it up individually and Freeze the portions in the Freezer using my Food Saver system after learning the points value was reasonable at only 4 points.

I just pull one out of the Freezer and defrost to later top a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt.  Sometimes I'll halve both the fruit topping mixture and the scoop of Frozen yogurt for half the points too.

Here is a picture of the whole Fresh Sundae with a 2-point 1/2-cup serving of low-Fat vanilla Frozen yogurt:



Below is a picture of the defrosted version in which the blueberries stain the mango giving it that reddish color, but the taste is still the same as Fresh and still delicious.


What you can't see in this photo is the yummy, sweet sauce that ran to the bottom, but you can see it in the photo of the Fresh Sundae above.

Here is a photo of the peel-removal in process and completed (the more lime peel you add, the stronger the lime flavor you will have):




The nutritional information noted below is information I had recorded from an old recipe I got from somewhere and put into my recipe book. The type of Frozen yogurt is unspecified, so I have separated the topping from the yogurt.  I used online sources to Figure nutritional information of approximate amounts of topping ingredients used in this recipe and come out a bit higher in points, so I rounded up. I use a 2-point low-fat Frozen yogurt, which comes out to 2 points per 1/2 cup, so together, I come out to 5 points for this dessert.  If I halve the dessert, it comes out to 2.5 points for me.

Here is the recipe and nutritional information:

Ingredients: 
2 mangoes, pitted, peeled and diced (about 2-1/4 lbs.)
3 cups blueberries
2 limes
1/2 cup sugar
5 mint leaves
vanilla frozen yogurt

Instructions:
  1. In a large bowl combine mangoes and blueberries and set aside. 
  2. Remove peel from limes in strips (can use a vegetable peeler or cut strips) and set aside. 
  3. Juice the limes for 3 tablespoons juice and set aside. 
  4. In a small saucepan bring 1/2 cup water, lime peel, sugar, and mint to boiling over medium heat.
  5. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat. 
  6. Place the syrup in a small bowl and stir in lime juice. Let stand 15-20 minutes. Remove peel and mint and discard. 
  7. Drizzle syrup over fruit and toss to coat. 
  8. Scoop yogurt into dessert dishes.  Spoon fruit over yogurt. May top with mint for garnish. 

Fruit Topping Servings: 6
Fruit Topping Serving Size:  Approximately 1/2 cup (turns out to be just shy of 1/2 cup for me)
Fruit Topping Points per Serving: 3 points (rounded up)


Nutritional Information: 230 cals, 0g fat, 0g sat fat, 0mg chol, 70mg sod, 55g carb, 5g fib, 5g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chicken and Lentils in Apple-Curry Sauce

  Make sure you get some good size chicken thighs for this dish because those suckers can shrink up big time, which is why my photo shows...