Saturday, October 7, 2017

Iced Banana Berry Salad for 6 Weight Watchers Points for Me and 8.5 SmartPoints for You

(Plated on a salad plate)


Since I had to figure out points from scratch on this one, I did both the old way for myself and the new point system Smart Points for you.  These are made about the size of a dessert one might eat if not dieting, so if the points seem high to you, just cut it in half and get a diet-sized dessert in.

This recipe is a result of finding ways to use up the hand-picked raspberries growing in my back yard when I feel up to braving the spiders who wish to claim them. Ugh.  Can you spot the spider that is so cleverly camouflaged in the below photo?



No?  How about now?


Well, I tried to get up close to him so you could see these crazy little crab-like spiders that have me doing the heebie-jeebie dance with arms flailing around the yard often much like Tom Hanks did in the movie The Money Pit with the bumblebee.  No joke. It's not pretty.  It's blurry, but you get my point.  Since I've had one attach a web to my hair one time and fly in the wind in front of my face...I no longer try to go deep into the berry patch to get the ones in the back.  The spiders can have them.  I think I need a beekeeping suit to go after those.  The crab spiders have now also received some new neighbors because I keep seeing this other kind of spider there now as well.




I used some tart pans that I had to create individual servings, but you can use a meatloaf-style pan as well and slice it into 8 even portions...16 if you want smaller servings.  The entire recipe works out to 51 Winning Points or 68 Smart Points, so you can figure out your own points based on how many servings you go with in total, and I left off the whipped cream topping in the points total because you can figure that out yourself since it depends on how much topping and which kind of whipped cream you go use.


Ingredients:

1/4 c. sugar
1 c. dairy sour cream (Fat-Free)
1 Tbs. grated lemon peel
2 Tbs. whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. (2 med.) sliced bananas

1 c. blueberries*
1 c. raspberries*

Garnishing Options:
mint leaves
raspberries
blueberries


Instructions:

In large bowl, stir together sugar, sour cream, lemon peel, and lemon juice.  In a chilled small mixing bowl, beat chilled whipping cream at high speed, scraping bowl often, until stiff peaks form (1 to 2 minutes).  By hand fold in whipping cream, vanilla, bananas, and berries into sour cream mixture.

Spoon into individual 1/2-c molds or a loaf pan BUT line whichever you go with with plastic wrap first so you can remove them when ready for serving.

Freeze for 6 hours or overnight.  Unmold on small salad plates.  If using a loaf pan, slice into 8 equal portions about 1" thick.   

If desired, garnish with mint leaves, raspberries, blueberries.

*You can substitute frozen berries for fresh berries.   

YIELDS: 8 servings
SERVING SIZE: 1 slice or tart
POINTS:  6 Winning Point or 8.5 (9 rounded up) Smart Points




No comments:

Post a Comment

Chicken and Lentils in Apple-Curry Sauce

  Make sure you get some good size chicken thighs for this dish because those suckers can shrink up big time, which is why my photo shows...