Friday, July 1, 2016

Broccoli with Brown Butter and Almonds Recipe



Let me start by sharing that I'm not a huge cooked broccoli lover, but THIS recipe is literally so Flavorful, it's mind blowingly delicious. I don't have any light butter on hand to see how swapping it in to replace the regular butter I used would affect the points value, but 3 points is pretty darned good as it is.

When I Figured out the points for this recipe using my slider card, it came out to a total of 19 points for the whole dish.  The recipe card has the nutritional information included on it, and using that is how I come out to 3 points per serving, but when I divide 6 into 19, it actually comes out to just a tad more than 3 points, so I round up personally.  You can do what you like.  I guess I like to err on the side of caution.

Ingredients:

3 cups broccoli florets
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 small shallot thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. garlic pepper

Directions:

In a large skillet over high heat combine broccoli florets with 1/4 cup water and heat uncovered just until you see steam.  Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.  Drain and transfer broccoli to a bowl and set it aside.

Wipe the skillet clean with paper towel and place back on stove over medium heat.  Add butter and heat until the butter melts and just begins to bubble whisking it once or twice.  Stir in the almonds, the shallot, and the garlic pepper.  Cooke just until the butter is light golden brown and begins to have a nutty aroma, and you WILL smell it.  Quickly remove from the heat and DO NOT LET THE BUTTER BURN.

Add the broccoli back into the skillet and toss to coat.  Return the skillet to low heat and cook just until your broccoli is reheated.  Season with salt to taste and serve.

Serves:  6
Points:  4

Nutritional Info:  125 calories, 12 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 25 mg cholesterol, 35 g sodium, 3 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein


No comments:

Post a Comment

Chicken and Lentils in Apple-Curry Sauce

  Make sure you get some good size chicken thighs for this dish because those suckers can shrink up big time, which is why my photo shows...