Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Weigh-In Wednesday and a Two-Point Weight Watchers Gazpacho Recipe!




It's been a long time since I've shared a recipe, and in celebration of my 3-pound weight loss despite my week full of baking and my very own birthday. Yay, NOT--I'm Freakin' Forty-Five! Forty-Five! A new F word. I know it's just a number, but I can't help but feel like Sally here. Just replace 40 with 50 below.


I Found an old recipe I have had for Green Gazpacho, an old Weight Watchers recipe for the only Winning Points plan I successfully did eons ago, so I made it this week.  Yup, still love it. BONUS: 0 mg of cholesterol!

Now, I've had regular Gazpacho a handful of times, and only one single time did I love that. Unfortunately, a coworker had brought that into work back when I was 19 and had no interest in making some for my single, childless self and therefore did not ask her for her recipe.  I had never heard of it, had never seen it, and had never tried it.  I took for granted that all Gazpacho was made that way, and one day I'd find the recipe and make it. Duh. All other recipes I've tried over the years made by others were absolutely horrible in my opinion. Sorry sissy!

So, if you've never been a fan, you should probably give this a go just to see if you might like it. I love the crisp, fresh taste of the veggies in vegetable broth.

It's only 2 Weight Watchers points for my old plan.  If green vegetables are still zero points for you on the new plan, then you just need to figure out the total for a few ingredients as a whole and divide by servings!

It's very difficult to get a photo of this dish, as all of the ingredients float! What you see on top are all of the herbs and vegetables. Guess you have to be lightening fast to whisk and then take a photo! 

GREEN GAZPACHO:

Ingredients:

2 slice oatmeal bread
2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
2 cups watercress leaves
1/2 cup cilantro sprigs
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley sprigs
1 small garlic clove, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded, cut into chunks
3 scallions, trimmed, coarsely chopped
1 celery stalk, peeled, cut into chunks (just get the tendrils off)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, minced (gloves)
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Soak the oatmeal bread in enough cold water to cover for about 5 minutes. Prep the cucumbers, watercress, cilantro, parsley, and garlic while the bread is soaking.  Now place the bread and 1 prepared cucumber, watercress, cilantro, parsley, and garlic into a food processor and pulse to almost pureed. I pulse until the contents take on a "grainy" appearance to give it more substance. Now spoon the grainy-pureed mixture into a large bowl.

You can follow the following instructions, as I type them, or just take the remaining ingredients listed below and chop them into bite-size chunks instead of putting them into the food processor, as I find running them through the food processor makes the pieces a little too small for my liking. 

Combine the remaining cucumber, bell pepper, scallions, celery, and jalapeno pepper in the same food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped (or cut into bite size chunks manually).  Add this to the cucumber mixture in the bowl. Stir in the broth, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.  Refrigerate for at leas several hours or overnight to let the flavors blend and serve chilled. Enjoy!

POINTS: 2 per serving (old plan)
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Total Fat 4 g; Saturated Fat 1 g; Cholesterol 0; Sodium 186 mg; Total Carb 9 g; Fiber 1 g; Protein 2 g; Calcium 36 mg; Calories 72

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chicken and Lentils in Apple-Curry Sauce

  Make sure you get some good size chicken thighs for this dish because those suckers can shrink up big time, which is why my photo shows...