Saturday, March 5, 2016

Tailor-Your-Points Creamy Poppyseed and Pine Nut Chicken Salad Recipe Starting at 6 Weight Watchers Points




This is my new Favorite salad, and you can turn it into a wrap as well!  If you are like me and have avoided salads with Fruit in them, then now is the time to stop being that way and to expand your horizons.  Something about Fruit in a salad has just never sat well with me, but I'm challenging myself to try new things, and I am oh so glad I did!  (Yes, I'm the one with picky children and a picky husband to Feed--imagine.)

I've deconstructed the original recipe so you can Figure your points for individual serving sizes, so the points can be more tailored to your needs and Weight Watchers points allowances. Firstly, here is the recipe for making a huge meal salad for a group.

Ingredients:

8 cups torn salad greens (I used Earthbound Farm Organic Baby Lettuces)  0 POINTS
1 medium red pepper sliced 0 POINTS
1/4 c. finely chopped green onions (I probably tripled it because I love green onions) 0 POINTS
2 pkg (6 oz each) of Grilled Chicken Breast Strips, coarsely chopped 12 POINTS
2 cups halved red seedless grapes 2 POINTS
1 pkg 2 oz. toasted pine nuts, approximately 1/3 cup--6 POINTS (*see note below)
3/4 cup Poppyseed salad dressing, (Marzetti's) -- 2 POINTS/TBSP.

This bulk version adds up to be 22 points.  Figure your points per serving by dividing it into the total number of servings you wind up with.

* Note:  1/3 cup of pine nuts is 5-1/3 Tbsp of nuts according to my conversion chart so it therefore comes out to 5-1/3 points because each tablespoon of nuts is equal to 1 point.  The nutrition information on my bag of pine nuts indicates that the 1/4 cup serving size is 4 points, and my conversion chart tells me that there are 4 tablespoons in 1/4 cup, so that is how I come out to 1 point per tablespoon. 

Individual Serving Salad:





Salad greens in the amount you wish for 0 POINTS
Red pepper slices in the amount you wish for 0 POINTS
Green onions in the amount you wish for 0 POINTS
2 oz cubed/diced chicken breast for 1 POINT PER OUNCE=2 POINTS
1/2 c. sliced red grapes for 0.5 POINTS
1 Tbs. toasted pine nuts for 1 POINT
1 Tbs. poppyseed dressing for 2 POINTS or 2 Tbs. for 4 POINTS

As you can see, you can tailor your salad to suit your points allowance.  With 1 tablespoon of dressing, the individual serving salad above would come out to 5.5 points, and with 2 tablespoons of dressing 7.5 points.  If you add more grapes, which are 1 point per cup, or if you use more chicken, which is 1 point per ounce, then adjust your points accordingly.

I haven't tried this meal salad in a wrap form, but you can easily add the appropriate points onto your salad after Figuring them out using the nutrition information from your Favorite wrap wrapper....wrap wrapper. lol

Be careful when toasting your pine nuts, as they cook very quickly at a certain point. I recommend checking after 3 minutes of baking at 350 degrees F and checking every minute thereafter until they have reached a nice golden brown color.

Enjoy! I know I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chicken and Lentils in Apple-Curry Sauce

  Make sure you get some good size chicken thighs for this dish because those suckers can shrink up big time, which is why my photo shows...