Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Freakin' Word Games Bitches!: Are You "Fat"?

I can not stand word games.  I can not stand perpetually offended people.  I also can not stand people who search for things to be angry about, and the use of the word Fat is one of them.

As many people have read today, Target is taking some heat for labeling it's plus-size costumes Fat Girl Costumes.

C'mon ladies. Fat is fat. We need to Freakin' own it. I'm obese, and while the word Feels way worse than Fat, I know it's true. I just do not like to hear people say it about me.  I've heard that people have said I am Fat and Frumpy--Ouch!  It stung. I am not going to lie, but it IS true.  That saying, "The truth hurts." comes to mind, and that is true.  Because of my weight, I do not buy nice clothes.  I bum around all of the time.  I panic when I am invited to a social gathering trying to Figure out if I can even Find anything to wear, and it kills me to spend the money on those clothes that I do not plan on being able to wear Forever.


The word "Fat" can be either an adjective, a noun, and sometimes a verb (fatting).  I am going to Focus on the adjective.  The definition is:  (of a person or animal) having a large amount of excess Flesh.  The definition of "Flesh" is: the soft substance consisting of muscle and fat that is found between the skin and bones of an animal or a human.

I also Feel it is important to list some synonyms to the word "Fat," which include plump, stout, overweight, large, chubby, portly, flabby, paunchy, potbellied, beer-bellied, meaty, of ample proportions, heavyset, obese, corpulent, fleshy, gross, plus-sized, big-boned, tubby, roly-poly, well upholstered, beefy, porky, blubbery, chunky, and pudgy. 

Even the word gross can be misconstrued because it is used a lot in medical reports as an adjective in numerous ways. 

The actual word, Fat, as well as its synonyms, when used in a pejorative way, are wrong, but how is labeling costumes that Fit Fat girls as Fat Girl Costumes, pejorative, or insulting, in any way?  I don't even think it is insensitive when seeing what the actual definition of the word is.  It is what it is.  How is the use of "Plus-Sized" ANY different? It means the same thing!  

According to the definition, can you now be "skinny" with excess "Flesh?" You betchyer rolls you can, but chances are you are still wearing larger clothes because of that excess "Flesh" than you would be without it. Technically, I guess you are still "Fat," depending on what the makeup of that "soft substance consisting of muscle and fat" is between the skin and the bones. 

It's an adjective, just like blonde, tall, short, black, brown, pasty, and white can be.

I've also recently read a rant by someone online trying to tell people that Meghan Trainor's All About That Bass song is body shaming the "other side" of the weight spectrum with it's use of "Skinny Bitches."  Let's be clear here regarding the lyrics, that portion of the song clearly says "I'm bringin' booty back.  Go 'head and tell them skinny bitches that. NAW, I'M JES PLAYIN'."  So, I'm sitting here wondering how in the freakin' world people get upset about the word skinny, and when paired with the word "BITCHES", calls it body shaming, while completely ignoring the "Naw I'm jes playin'" part that immediately follows it. 

Yup, you read that right.  Out of the phrase "skinny bitches," it's been determined that the word skinny is body shaming--that's it. Nothing else wrong with that phrase at all.  It cracks me up.  "BITCHES." hahahaha

These people must have never used the word "bitches" before with their girlfriends or in humorous settings for a laugh.  Nobody is running around yelling about the Female population being referred to as "bitches" from what I have seen.  Some people may not Find the use of "bitches" Funny at all, but some people do.  Deal with it.

I, myself, may have or might in the future (can not say for certain) say something along the line of "We pasty bitches...." as I Frequently make fun of the almost Fluorescent color of my skin near the end of winter and it's perceived ability to actually reflect light, or ".....those tan bitches" for a laugh assuming everyone knows I am still making Fun of myself.  I could see a statement like "I'm bringin' pasty back and you can tell them tan bitches that." rolling right off my tongue in a certain moment of conversation. Again, deal with it. I may have used it once and have outgrown actually using "bitches" in sentences. I do not know, as I do not get out much. I know I have not outgrown the word "Freakin'" yet. Deal with it.

Do you have excess "Flesh" like I do?  Do you Fit the definition of the word "Fat" like I do? Then Freakin' own it ladies.  The world isn't here to make you Feel good or to protect your sensibilities, and if that isn't obvious in today's day and age, then, well.....--that is up to you, and I, alone.

Are you "thin" or "skinny?" As in, do you Fit into the actual Freakin' definition? Then Freakin' own that too. As the saying goes, if the shoe Fits...

Whatever you do, please, oh please, do not try to say the song above body shames anybody when that word is paired with the word "bitches." It is ridiculous.

And, Finally, you MUST know that people like me are out here listening to you and, at the very least, thinking "Reach much?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chicken and Lentils in Apple-Curry Sauce

  Make sure you get some good size chicken thighs for this dish because those suckers can shrink up big time, which is why my photo shows...